Edison Brothers Warehouse from Ewing Street
The J. C. Penney Co. Warehouse Building, formerly also known as Edison Brothers Warehouse Building, and now Edison Condominiums, is a historic warehouse building in downtown St. Louis, Missouri. The building now serves as a Condo-hotel.
The building was constructed in 1929 as a warehouse for the J.C. Penney retail chain. It occupied the building until 1954, after which it was donated to the University of Missouri as a location for an education center, which never materialized. In 1967, the university leased the warehouse to Edison Brothers Stores, which used it as a warehouse for its retail operations until 1994. In 1983, the company commissioned muralist Richard Haas to paint a trompe l'oeil mural on three sides of the building that mimicked architectural stonework, using themes derived from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. The building reopened in 2001 after a $54 million renovation as a combination of condominiums and a hotel.